Thursday, October 11, 2012

Proverbs 13:4 again!

Yes, I am revisiting Proverbs 13:4 again. This time with a different spin. My desires, what do I want to have accomplished? How? The verse says diligent, not lazy. I get that. Here is why I was struck. This quote:

Discipline is 'Making yourself do what you don't want to do in order to achieve what you want to achieve.' (supposedly from Tom Landry's book in p.279)

Diligence has to come from the the right motivation. And the right motivation has to be for the glory of our LORD Jesus Christ, not anything else. Anything else would be the wrong motivation, for a follower of Christ, that is. And motivation, comes from self discipline doesn't it? And this self discipline has to come from conviction and motive. If my motive is none other than to please someone else or myself, forget it. If my motive is to succeed in a worldly sense or get more money, forget it. Wrong motives! Where does my conviction lie? Is it through my own senses of failure? Or is it through the word of God that is speaking to me through the Spirit, telling me to obey? Telling me to change? Telling me to step up?

Through godly conviction and motives, self discipline, motivation, and diligence shall follow. 

So what do I want? What is it that my heart so desires and yearns to achieve? 

intimacy with the LORD 
Hebrews 7:25; 10:22; 11:6, James 4:8

spiritual, mental and spiritual fitness
Luke 9:62, Romans 9:8, 1 Timothy 4:8

doing everything unto the LORD and not unto man 
2 Chron 5:11-14; Psalm 115:1; Proverbs 25:2; Isaiah 24:15; Jer 13:16; 1 Cor 10:13;Col 3:23

I did not list them because all of them are number 1. That's all I want to achieve. I am also gaining wisdom from reading and studying Proverbs 30. The sayings of Agur. I will have to blog on that later. 

LORD, bless my conviction and motives to better know you. Psalm 84, how lovely is Your dwelling place oh Lord!!! Better is one day in Your house!! Let my heart and flesh cry out to You! Let me seek You and find You. You are beautiful. Lord, I never have the right motives, I am human. Give me Your motives! Let me seek self discipline, motivation, and diligence and find these things because of You. Like Agur says, only give me my daily bread! I don't need anything but You. Help me surrender all things to You and know I cannot take any material thing from this world with me. May the Holy Spirit consecrate my children and may they desire the baptism from Your spirit so they may be anointed to do Your will. Open their spiritual eyes, ears, and hearts so they make seek You from their deepest parts of their souls. Thank You for Your sacrifice and grace. In Jesus' name, AMEN.

No comments: