Monday, August 31, 2009

Senator Cornyn's reply

Dear Mrs. Koo:

Thank you for contacting me about President Obama’s new initiative to monitor American citizens’ speech about his health care policies. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you know, on August 5, 2009, I sent a letter to President Barack Obama expressing my concerns about a new program that requested American citizens to forward to the White House emails and “casual conversations” of their fellow citizens who oppose the President’s health care policies. As I stated in my letter to the President, I believe that this program is inconsistent with America’s tradition of free speech and public discourse. I urged the President to cease the program, to purge personally identifiable information gathered by the program from White House records, and to detail how the White House intended to use the information gathered.

Though I am still awaiting a response to my letter from the President, I was pleased to see that on August 17, 2009, the White House shut down the program. While I am glad the site has been shut down, Americans still deserve to know what the White House intends to do with information that was collected during the 13 days the program was in effect. On August 19, 2009, I sent another letter to the President, reiterating my belief that the White House should fully disclose how they are using this information, and seeking the President’s commitment that no similar programs will be instituted in the future.

Health care affects every American and I believe we need to take the time to listen to the patients, providers, families, and small businesses that will be significantly impacted by reform. As Congress debates health care reform and other critical policy matters, citizen engagement must not be chilled by fear of government monitoring the exercise of free speech rights.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our First Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator


517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

GOD I PRAY FOR SENATOR CORNYN AS HE MAKES DECISIONS FOR US EACH DAY. WE PRAY THAT YOUR WISDOM AND SOVEREIGNTY WILL RULE AND THAT YOU WILL BE IN EVERYTHING AND EVERY DECISION HE MAKES. I ALSO PRAY FOR OUR NATION. FORGIVE US OF OUR SINS AGAINST YOU. MAKE US SET APART. HELP US MOVE FORWARD. YOU ARE SOVEREIGN AND WE TRUST IN YOU. GUIDE US WITH YOUR WORDS AND WE PRAY FOR OUR LEADERS TO MAKE DECISIONS THAT WILL HONOR YOU AND YOUR WORD. AMEN

No comments: